Friday, May 27, 2011

Queen Mary 75th Anniversary!!!

Just a quick update here!

I just want to let you all know that it is the 75th anniversary of the Queen Mary's maiden voyage!!!! EEEEEEKK!!!! *geek squeal! Oh I love her!

75 years ago today (May 27th 1936) the brand new RMS Queen Mary set off from Southampton on her maiden voyage to New York via Cherbourg! This event was cause for much celebration on both sides of the Atlantic but especially in England. It has been estimated that over a million people lined the shores of Southampton to see her off!

Check out this video!



I will be staying on the Queen Mary tonight (Friday) for this very special occasion. There will be several different events to celebrate and I will be attending!

Sorry for this short post... I have another one coming for later today or tomorrow and soon a full article on the Queen Mary!


The new RMS Queen Mary arriving in New York, New York, June 1th, 1936, surrounded by hundreds of smaller vessels there to welcome the new Cunard Queen!

3 comments:

  1. Jealous here. So glad someone is enjoying this and celebrating. I have a short story that's displayed in the historical exhibit, along with 25 other people. Would love it if you'd take a picture of it for me and email. Craig Walsh crgwlsh@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Craig,

    I want you to know that I have been looking for your story around the ship. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find it this time around but I will be going back to the Queen Mary within a few days to a couple of weeks (I go there a lot) and I will continue my search for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was kicking back on my sofa from the Main Lounge and checking out your website - I like it!
    I collect in-service equipment from the Queen Mary and live here in Long Beach - born and raised - and I saw the QM sail in.
    I hope you have fun on board for the anniversary.
    If you want to take a tour and see some QM light fixtures installed in a 50s tract house in Long Beach, let me know.
    Christopher M Hogan
    jhogan1782@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete